[MEncoder-users] Want a sample command to convert files to FLV

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Fri Aug 18 21:26:10 CEST 2006

howard chen wrote:

> On 8/18/06, The Wanderer <inverseparadox at comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> howard chen wrote:

>>> what kind of file you are using? seems as RC said, only WMV use
>>> variable video bit rate, i doubt the difference in FPS is so
>>> large?
>>
>> A WMV file - officially reported as being 1000.000 FPS, which is
>> the value MPlayer gives when the frame rate is variable.
>>
>> (I'm assuming you meant "variable frame rate", because WMV is
>> certainly not the only format which uses VBR.)
>>
>>> the ffmpeg can determine the average fps of my wmv file during
>>> encoding, so i doubt the need to play the whole file in order to
>>> get the average fps.
>>
>> "Average FPS" is, by definition, "number of frames per unit time".
>> If there is a way to know both of those numbers for the entire file
>> without analyzing or otherwise processing the whole thing, then the
>> average FPS can be determined without having to do that; however, I
>> know of no way for that to be possible for WMV.

<snip>

>> As you can see, there are an excess of different numbers; the only
>> ones that agree with each other are FFmpeg's 'estimation' of the
>> frame rate and the output-frame-rate value it uses when told to
>> transcode the file (which, since it's based on the other, doesn't
>> mean much). Given that, I think I'm inclined to trust the math
>> here.
>
> for encoding a WMV file (avg fps : 15):

What do you mean, "avg fps: 15"? That the input file has that average
frame rate? If so, where did you get that value from?

> mencoder, i need to get the correct fps by mplayer, and use this
> value as the ofps.
>
> ffmpeg, i don't need to provide the `-r`, the ffmpeg auto can encode
> the file using 15 fps.
>
> so that's mean FFmpeg is smarter or FFmpeg might be `wrong` at some
> case?

I think the latter, for reasons I went over fairly exhaustively in my
last post. (Which you didn't snip any of, by the way - bad form.)

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.