[MEncoder-users] TV capturing uses 100% of CPU power!!!

Rodolfo Quesada Z. rquesada at roqz.net
Sat Aug 5 03:42:18 CEST 2006

Matthias Wieser wrote:
> Am Freitag, 4. August 2006 00:17 schrieb Rodolfo Quesada Z.:
>
>> Another problem, I use MEncoder to record several TV shows, but recently
>> it only captures at about 13fps (of 29.97) and consuming all the
>> processor power while dropping a lot of frames... The resulting video is
>> a slide show with background music! :P
>
> What CPU do you have?

I have an Athlon XP 2000+ (1.66GHz), however, as I said before, with
this processor and the bt848 card I was able to record with at most 50%
processor usage, (even using denoise3d and mbd=2 as settings, without
them the image would just be unwatchable, it happens that I'm the "last
mile" of the cable operator).

>> This is part of the recording script I'm using...
>>
>> TVOPTS="driver=v4l2:input=0:width=512:height=384:normid=1:chanlist=us-cab
>> le"
>>
>> mencoder tv://$1 $ENDPOS -tv $TVOPTS -vf pp=lb,denoise3d -oac mp3lame
>> -lameopts mode=3:cbr:br=96 -ovc lavc -lavcopts
>> vcodec=mpeg4:mbd=2:vbitrate=1500 -o VCR$1.av
>
> remove denoise3d and mbd=2 if your CPU is to slow. Have you tried xvid?.

I will try with XVID in a few hours, so, I will report later, but if I
remember well I already tried with it.

Thanks!!