[MEncoder-users] Quick question - advice appreciated

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Fri Aug 4 09:05:37 CEST 2006

Loren Merritt wrote:

> On Wed, 2 Aug 2006, The Wanderer wrote:
>
>> Nicolas George wrote:
>>
>>> It is not as simple as that. Otherwise, it would be very easy,
>>> since your solution one is already implemented (AVI, for example,
>>> has an index of all frames).
>
>> My understanding from years of reading these mailing lists has been
>> that AVI does *not* have an index of all frames, but only an index
>> of (at most) all keyframes (or, at least, all I frames). Handling
>> those frames for backwards playing is trivial, but P (and,
>> potentially, B) frames make the issue noticeably more complicated.
>
> mplayer -v -v foo.avi
> prints the headers, including the position, size, timestamp, and
> keyframe flag of each video frame and each audio packet.

Hmmmm.

Well, that does change the picture no little bit. I'm not entirely sure
of the ordinary value of putting all of that information in the index,
since the location of a non-I frame would seem effectively useless if
you aren't going to be starting at  the preceding-in-display-order I
frame anyway, but it does help make the specific task at hand
potentially easier...

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.