[MEncoder-users] Unable to do a 2nd pass with AVI sources

Rodolfo Quesada Z. rquesada at roqz.net
Thu Aug 3 23:59:11 CEST 2006

Hi,

Since the CVS to SVN upgrade at mplayer's headquarters, neither the
1.0pre8 or svn upgrades let me to do a 2nd pass when using a AVI source.

I'm currently using a CVS source tree (MEncoder
dev-CVS-060324-06:06-4.0.3) that allows me to do that, but every time I
try to transcode a AVI file to a lower bitrate with any of the mentioned
recent sources, the second pass just dies saying:

[mpeg4 @ 0x872dcf8]Error: 2pass curve failed to converge
Could not open codec.
FATAL: Cannot initialize video driver.

Using the following two commands (For testing):

mencoder source.avi -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=800:vpass=1 -endpos 10 -oac copy -o test.avi

mencoder source.avi -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=800:vpass=2 -endpos 10 -oac copy -o test.avi

Those two lines and any other permutation of options just die on the
second pass. DVD ripping works just fine, only AVI (No matter wich
codec, FMP4, XVID, DX50, DIVX... All of them crashes mencoder!)

The CVS version I have can work the second pass without problems!!!

Any clue??? Somebody else having these problems?? I believe there is
nothing else to do other than code
tweaking...

Thanks!!!

--