[MEncoder-users] Converting wmv to wmv

Ko Ko kkl_sg at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 18 10:00:38 CEST 2006

You have any idea how to convert mov to mov by the way? I tried and it doesn't work at all. The system always hang or show blank screen.

  Thanks for your help btw. I tried 25. Just like you said... the audio and video doesn't really sync anyway. At least it doesn't appear as if it is fast forwarded.

Lennart Börjeson <Lennart.Borjeson at cinnober.com> wrote:
  tisdag 18 april 2006 03:46 skrev Ko Ko:
> Hi
>
> I tried your -of lavf and it works! But sadly with a bit of problems.
>
> I tried like
>
> "mencoder -of lavf -oac mp3lame -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=wmv1 -ofps
> 100.0 test.wmv output.wmv"
>
> I can't use wmv2. It doesn't render. I can't use copy for audio. Doesn't
> matter as well. But the movie was playing back too fast. Just like it is
> being 'fast forward'. I am not too sure why. Is it because I -ofps 100.0? I
> don't know what is the purpose of using this. But if I don't set this it
> doesn't produce wmv.

wmv supports a variable frame rate, but mencoder doesn't. In fact, mencoder
requires to use a fixed frame rate, either by default from the input or by
specifying it explicitly.

100fps is improbable. If your video material orgininates from "normal" video
or film, it will be, in average, either 30, 25, 24 or 15fps (or the absurd
1000/1001 NTSC fractions thereof), and you should specify -ofps 30 or
whatever matches your input.

Note that when the input has a variable frame rate and you enforce a fixed
frame rate, the A/V sync will always be off. It will alternatively lag and
lead. If you have specified a framerate which really is the average of the
original, audio and video will eventually end simultaneously, thus be in sync
on average, but in the course of the film it will alternate between lag and
lead.

--
!++
! Lennart Börjeson