[MEncoder-users] Converting wmv to wmv

Ko Ko kkl_sg at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 18 03:46:55 CEST 2006

Hi

  I tried your -of lavf and it works! But sadly with a bit of problems.

  I tried like

  "mencoder -of lavf -oac mp3lame -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=wmv1 -ofps 100.0 test.wmv output.wmv"

  I can't use wmv2. It doesn't render. I can't use copy for audio. Doesn't matter as well. But the movie was playing back too fast. Just like it is being 'fast forward'. I am not too sure why. Is it because I -ofps 100.0? I don't know what is the purpose of using this. But if I don't set this it doesn't produce wmv.

  Previously I rendered this way

  " mencoder -oac copy -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=wmv2 -ofps 100.0 test.wmv output.wmv"

  This produce wmv file as well. But may be it doesn't conform to those wmv standard. When I try to play using Windows Media Player, the player prompt me a warning message. Only if I click yes to play it played. But it doesn't play in fast forward manner and the pictures and sounds in the movie are sync.

  If the first method doesn't output the file in a fast forward way, then I think that should be exactly what I want. Your "-of lavf" option seems to make sure it produce in wmv format. I just don't understand why it is fast-forwarded.

  Ko Ko

The Wanderer <inverseparadox at comcast.net> wrote:
  Ko Ko wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I manage to encode other movie format like avi, mpg and mpeg without
> much problems. I am actually trying to shorten the movie length to
> make some preview clips for my website. But when it comes to wmv
> format i cannot encode wmv to wmv. I can encode wmv to avi.

That's because that is what MEncoder is intended to encode to. Any other
output (container) formats are later additions.

> But this is not exactly what I want. Normally how I encode is
>
> mencoder -oac copy -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=msmpeg4v2 $upfile -o
> $imagepath/$filename -endpos 10

This command line does not specify an output format (-of), so it creates
a file with the default container type, AVI. You want to add '-of lavf'
and make sure that $filename ends in '.wmv'. If that doesn't work, then
assuming you're using the latest CVS versions, it's probably not
supported and I almost certainly can't help you.

> This codes produce 10 seconds video clip of my uploaded file to the
> specified file path on the server. But it doesn't really work for
> wmv. Is there any codecs available to encode wmv to wmv and how?

Codecs are probably not relevant, at least not at this stage. The
problem is a matter of container formats.

--
The Wanderer

side of it.

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.