[MEncoder-users] using mencoder as a virtual device

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Sat Apr 15 10:30:58 CEST 2006

Hi,
On Fri, Apr 14, 2006 at 09:41:35PM -0700, RC wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 19:07:55 -0700
> Reza Roboubi <reza at parvan.net> wrote:
>
> > (which qemu then takes as pure pixel data presumably, and
> > sends it to the _real_ hardware.)
>
> I would imagine qemu just sets-up an overlay itself, and directly
> outputs everything to the videocard, bypassing X11.

I highly doubt that there are optimizations of that kind.
Anyway, The much easier way would be to hack the XVideo support in X11
to dump to a file instead of putting it to the screen.
The Xgl people already did something similar that redirects XVideo
stuff to use OpenGL.
Of course I don't claim that mainpulating the xorg source will be
trivial - esp. since that code path probably is run as root and you can
easily introduce security problems, but it seems the most useable way to
me.
Oh, if RealPlayer supports OpenGL you could alternativly hack the Mesa
lib (or just preload a lib that overwrites the glTexImage2D/glTexSubImage2D
functions).

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger