[MEncoder-users] using mencoder as a virtual device

Reza Roboubi reza at parvan.net
Sat Apr 15 04:07:55 CEST 2006

RC wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 17:08:48 -0700
> Reza Roboubi <reza at parvan.net> wrote:
>

>>What does it take to implement this feature?
>

> You certainly can't do this with mplayer alone, and you'll have a hard
> time doing it at all.  Maybe if you disable XV overlay and OpenGL,
> Realplayer might use standard X11 output, then you could use a standard
> screen-capture utility.  From there you might use mencoder to crop and
> re-encode to some useful format.
>
> Personally, I'd say don't even bother.

You're absolutely right RC.

But let's consider the following:  maybe we can do it at the graphics
_hardware_ level.

Assume an application like qemu.  It provides the software
with a virtual graphics card.  Regardless of what OpenGL and friends
do, their output is simply flowing to a fully simulated and controlled
graphics card(which qemu then takes as pure pixel data presumably, and
sends it to the _real_ hardware.)

If intercepted at this point, the output could be diverted to mencoder
(not mplayer by the way.)  And yes, you're absolutely right, it may need
to be cropped afterwards.  Do you think this can be done?

Reza.