[MEncoder-users] re: mencoder blues

Alec Robertson alecr at MIT.EDU
Fri Apr 14 00:45:26 CEST 2006

> I have decided to pay the twenty bucks that quicktime pro demands. I was
> shown a HIGHLY impressive movie-making process involving 300 jpegs. It took
> half a second. I need movies of simple things like MATLAB plots and graphs,
> with usually very low frame rates. The `return on investment' for such
> simple applications is just not justifiable with mencoder+mplayer.

I've found this to work (with cvs mencoder/mplayer, matlab 7sp2):
in matlab: saveas(gcf,'myfig.png','png');
in mplayer: mplayer mf://*.png" -mf type=png:fps=2
in mencoder: mencoder mf://*.png -mf type=png:fps=2 \
                      -noskip -vf harddup -of lavf -ovc lavc -lavcopts \
                       vcodec=flv:vbitrate=600 -nosound -lavfopts \
                       i_certify_that_my_video_stream_does_not_use_b_frames
                      -o mymovie.flv
             flvtool2 -U mymovie.flv
You need fltool2 (http://rubyforge.org/projects/flvtool2/)
to set the duration metatags. You can then use FlowPlayer
(http://flowplayer.sourceforge.net/) to play your flv in a webpage:
    <embed src="FlowPlayer.swf"
           flashvars="videoFile=mymoive.flv"
           width="500" height="380" />