[MEncoder-users] Re: mencoder blues

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg at gmail.com
Thu Apr 13 09:56:43 CEST 2006

Hi,

On 4/13/06, Dev Gorur <dgorur at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been having serious trouble with mencoder and am at the point where I
> start dissing it to friends and colleagues. Initially, I was quite taken by
> all the praise showered on it, and have spent many hours trying to get it to
> do simple things like encode 20 jpegs into a movie that can be played by at
> least one reasonably well-known movie player other than mplayer.

I've put an example on on this part of the doc to encode to flash
video format: http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/menc-feat-selecting-codec.html

I don't remember if it works with pre7, so if it doesn't, use cvs.

> Fair assumption: The majority of the world does not use mplayer to play
> movies, and therefore the movies that mencoder makes need to be playable on
> a reasonable range of other players. First I discovered the `trick' that
> unless one forces the fourcc to DX50, the mpegs produced by mencoder are
> useless unless you have mplayer. Now it seems that one needs similar black
> magic tricks to get qtvideo, or even lavc with rv20, to work!
>
> The following command:
> mencoder 'mf://fitImage*.jpg' -mf type=jpg:fps=2 -ovc lavc -lavcopts
> vcodec=rv20 -o gaussMovie.rm
>
> Results in a movie that produces the following output from realplayer:
> Unsupported document type. (
> file:///afs/ir.stanford.edu/users/d/g/dgorur/Research/PC/Own_code/Matlab/Testing/GaussAll/gaussMovie.rm
> )

?
strange! Can you post a sample online?

> Attempts at qtvideo:
> mencoder 'mf://fitImage*.jpg' -mf type=jpg:fps=2 -ovc qtvideo -o
> gaussMovie.qt
>
> result in:
> Making movie
> MEncoder 1.0pre7try2-3.4.4 (C) 2000-2005 MPlayer Team
> CPU: Advanced Micro Devices Athlon MP/XP Thoroughbred (Family: 6, Stepping:
> 0)
> Detected cache-line size is 64 bytes
> CPUflags: Type: 6 MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 1 3DNow2: 1 SSE: 1 SSE2: 0
> Compiled for x86 CPU with extensions: MMX MMX2 3DNow 3DNowEx SSE
>
> File not found: 'frameno.avi'
> Failed to open frameno.avi
> success: format: 16  data: 0x0 - 0x0
> [demuxer] mf support.
> [mf] search expr: fitImage*.jpg
> [mf] number of files: 5 (20)
> VIDEO:  [IJPG]  0x0  24bpp  2.000 fps    0.0 kbps ( 0.0 kbyte/s)
> [V] filefmt:16  fourcc:0x47504A49  size:0x0  fps: 2.00  ftime:=0.5000
> QuickTime6.3 DLLs found
> QuickTime.qts patched!!! old entry=0x6693c3e0
> theQuickTimeDispatcher catched -> 0x6693c3e0
> WARNING! Invalid Ptr handle!
>
> ### Searching for QuickTime plugins (*.qtx) at /usr/local/lib/codecs...
> ### FindNext: QuickTimeEssentials.qtx
> ### FindNext: AvidQTAVUICodec.qtx
> ### FindNext: QuickTimeInternetExtras.qtx
> ### FindNext: BeHereiVideo.qtx
> theQuickTimeDispatcher catched -> 0x6693c3e0
> theQuickTimeDispatcher catched -> 0x6693c3e0
> Opening video filter: [expand osd=1]
> Expand: -1 x -1, -1 ; -1  (-1=autodetect) osd: 1
> Opening video decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg's libavcodec codec family
> Selected video codec: [ffmjpeg] vfm:ffmpeg (FFmpeg MJPEG decoder)
> Writing AVI header...
> ODML: Aspect information not (yet?) available or unspecified, not writing
> vprp header.
> VDec: vo config request - 1201 x 901 (preferred csp: Planar YV12)
> Could not find matching colorspace - retrying with -vf scale...
> Opening video filter: [scale]
> VDec: using Planar YV12 as output csp (no 3)
> Movie-Aspect is 1.33:1 - prescaling to correct movie aspect.
> SwScaler: reducing / aligning filtersize 5 -> 4
> SwScaler: reducing / aligning filtersize 1 -> 4
> SwScaler: reducing / aligning filtersize 1 -> 1
> SwScaler: reducing / aligning filtersize 5 -> 4
>
> SwScaler: BICUBIC scaler, from Planar YV12 to Packed YUY2 using MMX2
> Cannot find requested component
> FATAL: Cannot initialize video driver.
>
> Exiting...
> Rumours found in the depths of google sewers spoke in hushed whispers of
> wrong video depths. Incidentally, all the jpegs are grayscale, so I don't
> know what colorspace this stupid encoder is fretting about.

I've never used qtvideo (I didn't even know that mencoder could encode
using this codec lib), so I can't say for sure. Try appending "-vf
scale" to the end of your command line. I may work.

Guillaume

is worth a damn unless backed up with enough genuine information to
make him really know what he's talking about.