[MEncoder-users] block artifacts with lavc-flv

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Tue Apr 11 19:39:44 CEST 2006

On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 23:30:50 -0400
Alec Robertson <alecr at MIT.EDU> wrote:

> My script to do the rendering and encoding is below. I know the x264
> and lavc command lines are not equivalent

That's an understatement.  H.264 is a far more advanced codec, you're
using it with 2-pass encoding, and at double the bitrate.

You're surprised it looks better, and less blocky?

> >From looking through the mailing list archives, and the man pages, it
> seems that x264 includes a deblocking filter while lavc doesn't?

h.264 has an in-loop deblocker.  It's part of the codec.

> Mplayer with "-vf pp=hb/lb" works well, but seems to have no effect in
> mencoder (perhaps because it occurs before the encode?).

No, it's because it occurs AFTER the encode.  mencoder will deblock the
source, and then output blocky video all the same (possibly more blocky
in-fact).

> Any suggestions?

2-pass encoding, higher bitrate, downscale the video to a size it
can handle at that bitrate, denoise with lavcopt nr instead of hqdn3d,
etc.