[MEncoder-users] Raw output

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Tue Apr 11 06:00:03 CEST 2006

MuldeR wrote:

> Fredrik Eriksson wrote:
>
>> MuldeR wrote:
>>
>>> Hi.
>>>
>>> I want to encode H.264 with MEncoder and put it into MP4. So I
>>> need raw output from MEncoder. I currently do this with "-of
>>> rawvideo" and "-of rawaudio". But this isn't very nice, because I
>>> need to encoding passes. Is there a way to encode video/audio at
>>> the same time (like "-of avi") but get raw output? Couldn't find
>>> any information on that from the Docs.
>>>
>>> Furthermore: If there are 2 passes needed, what is the best way
>>> to do the "audio only" pass? "-novideo" doesn't work, so I use
>>> "-of rawaudio" plus "-ovc copy". But I don't think this
>>> workaround is very good.
>>
>> you should encode the video in two passes anyway, so why not encode
>> the audio in the first pass (with -of rawaudio) and use -of
>> rawvideo the second pass?
>
> Of course I encode the video in 2-pass mode ^^
> But the problem is, that I need 3 passes if I don't use AVI.
>
> 1. First pass (rawvideo)
> 2. Second pass (rawvideo)
> 3. Addidtional pass for encoding the audio (rawaudio)

I think that what he was suggesting is:

1: First pass: video encoding pass 1, audio encoding pass -of rawaudio.
The video is discarded, but that's okay because you weren't going to do
anything with that pass's video anyway - and the creation of the
statistics file should not, I think, be affected by the fact that you're
using -of rawaudio.

2: Second pass: video encoding pass 2, ignore the audio, -of rawvideo.
This time the audio is discarded, but thats okay, because you already
have the copy which was output in the previous pass.

 From there, proceed through your muxing steps as normal. Admittedly I
haven't tested this, but I see no reason offhand why it shouldn't work.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.