[MEncoder-users] mplayer / mencoder: precision of -ss

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Wed Apr 5 16:11:35 CEST 2006

On Wed, 5 Apr 2006 13:09:15 +0200
Matthias Wieser <mwieser at gmx.de> wrote:

> Where do you know from that 99% of all users are happy with slightly
> wrong  seeks?

Following these lists.

> If someone specifies "321 seconds" he probablay expects
> 321  seconds and not some position between 321 and 331 seconds.

Yes, well, if someone types-in -ss 300 he probably DOESN'T want to waste
time decoding from the last keyframe, up until EXACTLY 300 seconds.

> IMHO -ss should seek to the specified position while -ssk should seek
> to  the nearest keyframe after position x.

I'm against anything that changes the default behavior of existing
command-line options.  There's no reason to break backwards
compatibility here.  Call the new option -fss or something like that.