[MEncoder-users] Minimizing aliasing when downscaling?

Walter Belhaven wbelhaven at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 3 08:57:26 CEST 2006

Hi,

I've had success transcoding all flavors of HD I've encountered
to SD NTSC DVD using mencoder, especially now that I have my new
permutation of 'tinterlace' in my arsenal.  (See the patch I
recently posted to mplayer-dev-eng for the latter.)

The remaining "issue" I have is aliasing artifacts due to the
downsampling from 1280x720 or 1280/1080 to 720x480.  I've played
around a bit with the 'sws' types and the corresponding options
in 'scale', but I haven't found a combination that strikes a good
balance between retaining as much detail as possible while still
removing enough of the high spatial frequencies in the original
(HD) source.  I did find this rather spirited thread in the
archives:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.mencoder.user/1614

but it didn't seem to answer my question.  Any recommendations?

Thanks,
WB