[MEncoder-users] Subtitles: unable to playback vobsub

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at rangers.eu.org
Sun Apr 2 15:43:58 CEST 2006

On Sunday, 02 April 2006 at 03:57, Tim McCoy wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been playing with subtitles lately, and wanted to know why I can't
> seem to play back the subtitles. I encoded them using MEncoder, and I'm
> attempting playback with MPlayer. The subtitles were grabbed using the
> following:
>
> ---------------------
>
> http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/menc-feat-extractsub.html
>
> and the resulting .idx and .sub files seem fine. The first few lines of the
> .idx files are
[...]
> ---------------------
>
> ...but when attempting playback, the following occurs. I know the -slang
> option isn't ideal, but the results are the same when using the -vobsub and
> -vobsubid options. The files movie.avi, movie.idx and movie.sub are in the
> same directory!
>
> $ mplayer movie.avi -slang eng
>
> ..I've only copied the really interesting parts of the debugging output.

... which is something we always tell you not to do. We need full mplayer -v
output. Always.

> ---------------------
>
> Playing movie.avi.
> [vobsub] subtitle (vobsubid): 0 language en
> [vobsub] subtitle (vobsubid): 1 language en
> Selected VOBSUB language: 0 language: en
> .
> .
> .
> dvdsublang...movie eng
> SUB: Could not determine file format
> Cannot load subtitles: ./movie.sub
>
> ---------------------
>
> Versions as follows
>
> MPlayer 1.0pre7-3.3.6 (C) 2000-2005 MPlayer Team
> CPU: Advanced Micro Devices Athlon MP/XP Thoroughbred (Family: 6, Stepping:
> 0)
> Detected cache-line size is 64 bytes
> CPUflags:  MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 1 3DNow2: 1 SSE: 1 SSE2: 0
> Compiled for x86 CPU with extensions: MMX MMX2 3DNow 3DNowEx SS
>
> Linux 2.6.15.2
> Debian Sid (not that recent, though)
>
> Any ideas as to why the subtitle file cannot "be determined"? I can play
> DVDs with subtitles fine with something like "mplayer dvd://1 -slang en". I
> know this is probably an MPlayer question, but the MEncoder users might
> know more!

MPlayer doesn't use VOBSubs automatically, you must use the -vobsub option.
In your case, it tries to parse the .sub file as a text subtitle and fails.

R.

--
MPlayer developer and RPMs maintainer: http://rpm.greysector.net/mplayer/
There should be a science of discontent. People need hard times and oppression