[MEncoder-users] rc buffer underflows

n0dalus n0dalus at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 22:31:02 CEST 2005

On 9/29/05, Nico Sabbi <nsabbi at tiscali.it> wrote:
> although it's not related to your problem, -of rawvideo and -mpegopts
> combined together
> are 100% nonsense: when you mux to rawvideo you don't use the mpeg muxer.
> Additionally. -speed 40000/40000 doesn't have any logic

Oops. The reason that's there is because I wrote a script to generate
the mencoder commands given what data it can parse from a quick test
run of mplayer (it works out what settings to add black bars, resize,
change framerate, bitrate etc.) Originally it was only for avi to dvd,
and I only later added support for raw mpeg2 output, I accidentally
left in some of the options.

> try to add a sensible vrc_minrate with lmin=1:vqmin=1:mbqmin=1

When I use vrc_minrate as well as vrc_maxrate I get a warning:
[mpeg2video @ 0x857b330]Warning min_rate > 0 but min_rate != max_rate
isnt recommanded!
I assumed I must have done something wrong so I took out my vrc_minrate option.

Also, according to the manpage, vqmin=1 is:
"Not  recommended (much larger file, little quality difference and
weird side effects: msmpeg4, h263 will be very low quality,
ratecontrol  will be  confused  resulting  in lower quality and some
decoders will not be able to decode it)."

I know you have done development on mencoder's mpeg muxer, so I trust
your opinion, I am just a little confused on why you recommended these
options.

n0dalus.