[MEncoder-users] RGB => YV12 conversion

Wed Sep 28 21:00:11 CEST 2005

Hi Rich Felker!

 On 2005.09.28 at 11:25:41 -0400, Rich Felker wrote next:

> > staircases and moir patterns are exactly what I was talking about.
>
> These are common symptoms to identify it by, not definitions.

Where can I find exact definition? You know, aliasing is a generic word,
and when talking about picture on computer screen, it usually means just
what I said. If you know more specific definition, related strictly to
video, please tell it.

> > No, it looks a bit worse. And aliasing effect is stronger with it (but
> > when downscaling with bicubic scaler it appears _too_). But I don't
> > really understand what do you want to say, that phrase of mine wasn't
> > related to the rest of mail. Just an objection to your "nothing can be
> > worse than <something you don't like much>".
>
> I think if you understood sampling theory my statement would make
> sense and not be so unbelievable..

What should I agree to, that downscaling by throwing away half of the
lines is bad and makes this effect stronger? Yes, that's right. But I
know a man who doesn't hesitate to do this and they don't really worry
about this. I also know some people who capture video from tv tuner at
full resolution and then "deinterlace", as they say, by downscaling
height by two. They are completely satisfied with results.

(As for me, I don't downscale, so I don't really care - and if I do, any
effect is about equally bad)

So if YOU think that nothing can be worse and everyone thinks so, let me
assure you, you are completely wrong.

--

Vladimir