[MEncoder-users] RGB => YV12 conversion

Wed Sep 28 07:15:16 CEST 2005

Hi Rich Felker!

 On 2005.09.27 at 23:21:52 -0400, Rich Felker wrote next:

> Look up aliasing, then. It has a very precise meaning.

OK, I found this in mplayer's docs

aliasing (only downscale)
        straight lines look like staircases
        areas of high detail look worse
        regular patterns turn into a funny looking mess (moire patterns)
        bad: fast bilinear, point, gauss with low variance
        acceptable: area
        ok: others

staircases and moir patterns are exactly what I was talking about.

> > I prefer sharp picture with artifacts to smooth picture. Some of my
> > friends prefer smoothed one. So what?
>
> You mean to tell me a video reduced to half-height with -vf field=0
> looks better than with a proper scaler?

No, it looks a bit worse. And aliasing effect is stronger with it (but
when downscaling with bicubic scaler it appears _too_). But I don't
really understand what do you want to say, that phrase of mine wasn't
related to the rest of mail. Just an objection to your "nothing can be
worse than <something you don't like much>".

--

Vladimir