[MEncoder-users] RGB => YV12 conversion

Tue Sep 27 19:40:35 CEST 2005

Hi Rich Felker!

 On 2005.09.27 at 12:15:04 -0400, Rich Felker wrote next:

> > > Apparently talking about downscaling with a bad resampler...
> >
> > Why bad? 2x downscaling will always either give aliasing or produce way
>
> I get the impression you don't know what aliasing means..

Er, I mean - when you clearly see that line isn't smooth, but looks like

    **
  **
**

and other similar effects. Either this or blurring always happen when
you downscale to small resolution and then upscale. Downscaling two
times is enough for sharp-looking video for this effects to show.

> > too smooth picture, which may be better for encoding, but worse for
> > eye...
>
> Worse than aliasing? Nothing is worse than aliasing..

I thought we already concluded that we measure quality of video in a
different way. I still don't understand what you dislike about tearing
effect in some video out drivers, for example ;)

I prefer sharp picture with artifacts to smooth picture. Some of my
friends prefer smoothed one. So what?

--

Vladimir