[MEncoder-users] MKV to AVI file

Pete Davis pete at petedavis.net
Tue Sep 27 16:19:03 CEST 2005

What's the best way to convert an mkv file to an AVI file?

I thought I could just use mencoder to convert from an mkv to an avi (and
maybe you can and I was just doing it wrong), but mencoder complained about
bad frames, skipped frames, etc, all over the place.

The file appears to have 3 tracks:

Mpeg4, AC3, and MP3

It may have two language tracks, one done in MP3 and one done in AC3, I'm
not sure.

Should I use mkvextract from the mkvtools and break it out into its
components and then use mencoder to put it back together?

I just don't want to spend a lot of time with trial and error trying to get
this thing converted. I've already lost a few hours just trying a straight
conversion. Time to get some info.

Thanks.

Pete