[MEncoder-users] Mencoder and FLV (Flash video)

RyES RyES ryes540 at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 26 20:48:38 CEST 2005

Thanks everyone for your help,

It turned out that the fourcc didn't work.  It worked in mplayer, but now in
the actual flash player.  What did fix things is "-of lavf", which I should
have played with more since Guillaume mentioned it to me before.  Plus it
would only work on pre7, not the latest CVS, so I hope it works later.

I have 1 other question, is there *any* way to get a jpg thumbnail using
mencoder?  You can do it in ffmpeg with -f image -img jpeg, but there seems
to be no way with mencoder.  Man, just need this final thing to really get
rid of using a seperate ffmpeg.exe.

I ended up finalizing on these commands, any comments on improvements on the
commands appreciated:
// Fast/Low quality
mencoder 1.avi -o 2.flv -of lavf -ovc lavc -oac lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=flv:vbitrate=250:autoaspect:acodec=mp3:abitrate=56 -vf scale=320:240
-srate 22050 -af lavcresample=22050 -endpos 02:00

// x3 Slower/High quality
mencoder 1.avi -o 2.flv -of lavf -ovc lavc -oac lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=flv:vbitrate=250:autoaspect:mbd=2:mv0:trell:v4mv:cbp:last_pred=3:predia=2:dia=2:precmp=2:cmp=2:subcmp=2:preme=2:turbo:acodec=mp3:abitrate=56
-vf scale=320:240 -srate 22050 -af lavcresample=22050 -endpos 02:00

Guillaume, so the $100 goes to you.  Sorry RC, but I am sure Guillaume will
probably donate it too.  Guillaume you can email me privately if you need
the money or want it donated.  If donated, is there an email I should paypal
it too?  The donation email address seems to be removed now.

Thanks all,
Ryan