[MEncoder-users] Mencoder and FLV (Flash video)

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 09:11:41 CEST 2005

Hi,

On 9/26/05, RyES RyES <ryes540 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone, I'm new to the list but have been using Mencoder for some
> time now.  Guillaume mentioned to me that flv encoding should work in
> mencoder now.  Right now I have mencoder output to mjpeg and then convert to
> flv with ffmpeg, which sucks.
>
> As noted in the latest DOCs
> (http://mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/menc-feat-enc-libavcodec.html), flv is now
> a supported libavcodec codec.  Unfortunately I could not get it to work at
> all.

Nice to see that someone is reading the docs :-)

As RC said, a command line such as:

mencoder 1.avi -o 2.flv -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=flv:acodec=mp3:abitrate=56 -srate 22050 -ffourcc FLV1 -of lavf
-o1.flv

should work all right.... but it would be quite sub-optimal (lavc
audio encoder are not too good), and may lead to A/V desync. You
probably should dump the audio track as PCM and use lame to encode it,
and later remux it back together using the 'audiofile and -oac copy'
options.

Last but not least, make sure you have libavformat in order to be able
to mux to Flash format:

FFmpeg libavcodec/libavutil/libavformat

CVS MPlayer is not fully functional without a copy of the libavcodec,
libavformat and libavutil libraries from FFmpeg. Get FFmpeg CVS via

  cvs -d:pserver:anonymous at mplayerhq.hu:/cvsroot/ffmpeg login
  cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous at mplayerhq.hu:/cvsroot/ffmpeg co -P ffmpeg

When asked for a password, just hit enter. A directory named ffmpeg
will be created. Copy the libavcodec, libavformat and libavutil
subdirectories into the main directory just created from the MPlayer
checkout.

In order to include libavcodec and libavutil in CVS updates, add the
following lines to main/CVS/Entries:

  D/libavcodec////
  D/libavformat////
  D/libavutil////