[MEncoder-users] RGB => YV12 conversion

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Sun Sep 25 22:54:41 CEST 2005

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 00:58:16 +0400
Vladimir Mosgalin <mosgalin at VM10124.spb.edu> wrote:

>  I'm talking about high
> bitrate (1.5-2 mbit/s) encoding that looks just like dvd where
> postprocessing only destroys details.

I use bitrates of around 1000.

> Maybe you used wrong options in xvid encoding, like forgot to use
> b-frames (unlike lavc, they don't suck and decrease bitrate without
> impact on quality), mpeg quantization or 2-pass encoding?

B-frames are even enabled by default, and I use them with lavc as well
much of the time (fade in/out looks terrible otherwise).  Same for
mpeg_quant, and 2-pass.

> Try again, if you watch without postprocessing, there is a great
> chance that you'll like it.

Believe me, I've tried.  I'd really love to find a video codec that
compresses/looks better than lavc, even if encoding does take 10x
longer. Unfortunately, every source I've tested (mostly NTSC DVDs) shows
the opposite.

> Also, in my opinion xvid is always better for real life video, but it
> performs worse on animation. Lavc can catch up with xvid here
> sometimes.

lavc is absolutely incredible on animation.  *cmp=2 qns=3 2bframes,
etc., and you can get great quality animation at very, very low
bitrates.