[MEncoder-users] RGB => YV12 conversion

Thu Sep 22 22:58:16 CEST 2005

Hi RC!

 On 2005.09.22 at 12:52:12 -0700, RC wrote next:

> > Xvid often looks better if you forget to use a postprocessing filter
> > at playback time.
>
> I don't use postprocessing at all, and I still never see cases
> where Xvid looks better.

That's interesting, because since I switched to xvid I almost haven't
seen cases where lavc is better than xvid. I'm talking about high
bitrate (1.5-2 mbit/s) encoding that looks just like dvd where
postprocessing only destroys details.

Maybe you used wrong options in xvid encoding, like forgot to use
b-frames (unlike lavc, they don't suck and decrease bitrate without
impact on quality), mpeg quantization or 2-pass encoding? Try again, if
you watch without postprocessing, there is a great chance that you'll
like it.

Also, in my opinion xvid is always better for real life video, but it
performs worse on animation. Lavc can catch up with xvid here sometimes.

--

Vladimir