[MEncoder-users] Too many video packets in the buffer

EC zybhjk at verizon.net
Sat Sep 17 19:56:41 CEST 2005

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 09:50:01 +0100
Dom Holmes <dholmes at sctuk.com> wrote:

> Initially I was getting the 'Frame Skipped' message, I think the audio
> was losing sync over time. I added the -mc 0 option like above which
> starts encoding fine but after a few mins I get the 'Too many video
> packets in the buffer' error message and I've no idea how to solve this?

I was having the same problems with a few various dvds (NTSC) and hoped I wasn't the only one, since it was a pretty big problem.

What happened is these films are 100% progressive and soft-telecined, but encoding with -ofps 24000/1001 (or the equivelent pal value, I suppose), gave a lot of "Skipping Frame" message, and the output was very choppy.  I tried -mc 0 and that fixed the output but left the audio horribly out of sync.

The solution I found was to encode the audio and not use -oac copy.  With mp3lame the output is fine.  But since I want the ac3 track, I dump it from the dvd and then remux it with mkvmerge after encoding the avi, discarding the mp3 track.  Waste of cpu time yes, but I don't know that much about keep a-v sync so I am just trying to be cautious :).

Maybe mplayer is not doing correct processing of the audio when just called to copy, and then frames are skipped to keep audio sync?

//EC