[MEncoder-users] DVD compliant MPEG2 encoding

Lauri Myllari lauri at myllari.net
Sat Sep 10 12:05:39 CEST 2005

On Thu, Sep 08, 2005 at 11:01:27PM -0400, Rich Felker wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 09, 2005 at 01:14:18AM +0300, Lauri Myllari wrote:
> > I think some timecode manipulation might be needed in addition to
> > setting rff/tff flags in mpeg muxer.
>
> Oh, yes that's very likely... it doesn't do it now? Have you looked at
> the source or are you just guessing?

I took a quick look, but this was just a guess. I'm not really familiar
with mpeg internals.

> > I've had trouble with high peaks (sometimes over 15000k according to
> > mplex, with vrc_buf_size=1835 and vrc_maxrate=9000) and low average
> > bitrates.
>
> Hmm, odd.. This should not happen; I wonder why it does.

I could make a few testcases if that helps. Is there any particular
source material and mencoder version that would make it easy to
reproduce them? Or any diagnostic tools that would give meaningful
information?

> If the result is undersized after 2 passes, that means there was no
> way to use more bits within the quantization restraints. Set
> vqmin/lmin to 1 if you insist on using more bits..

Thanks! I'll do some more testing..

--rez