[MEncoder-users] Encoding problems with Mpeg4 codec NOVIRUS

jose at tecnosfera.org jose at tecnosfera.org
Thu Sep 8 12:39:16 CEST 2005

Hi everyone!

I'm trying to encode an mpeg1 video to a raw mpeg4 stream with MEncoder
dev-CVS-050626-17:02-3.4.2 for Windows. When I use some additional options
like vqmin or vbitrate, mencoder doesn't show any errors but I can't play
the resulting video. For example:

> mencoder sentenced-ever_frost.mpg -sws 9 -vf scale=176:144 -of

rawvideo -nosound -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4 -ofps 15 -o example.cmp

It's OK... I can play the video with normality. But when I try with:

> mencoder sentenced-ever_frost-.mpg -sws 9 -vf scale=176:144 -of

rawvideo -nosound -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vqmin=4 -ofps 15 -o
example.cmp

or

> mencoder sentenced-ever_frost-.mpg -sws 9 -vf scale=176:144 -of rawvideo

-nosound -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=38 -ofps 15  -o
example.cmp

It's WRONG... no errors, encodes apparently well, but when i try to play
it mplayer skips the video and exits ( without any error messages too ).
This problem also happens when i try to decrease the -ofps below 15 fps (
10 fps for example )

It's important to me to include these options (vqmin and vbitrate) in  the
video encoding process... ¿ any ideas ?

Thanks in advance and excuse me for my pitiful english.