[MEncoder-users] differences in divx2pass.log between -oac copy and mp3lame

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Sun Sep 4 03:45:41 CEST 2005

On Sat, Sep 03, 2005 at 03:32:08PM +0200, John Suzuki wrote:
> Between:
>   $ mencoder -ovc lavc -lavcopts vpass=1 -oac copy ...
> and
>   $ mencoder -ovc lavc -lavcopts vpass=1 -oac mp3lame ...
> the generated divx2pass.log files are different.
> I am curious as to why, since the log file depends on the video part,
> not the audio part, of the input, right?

This is due to a bug in mencoder's a/v sync, especially with lame. You
must use the same audio options for both passes. I would recommend
using -oac copy for both passes, then using -ovc copy -mc 0 -noskip
-oac mp3lame to reencode audio separately afterwards. Or demux the
audio and encode it separately with external lame, then remux. Or..
there are many other ways. The dumb, slow, but easy way is just to
encode audio twice with -oac mp3lame on both passes.

Rich