[MEncoder-users] how to generate a bivx ?

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Thu Sep 1 20:04:11 CEST 2005

Cyrille Lefevre wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to generate an avi w/ 2 audio channels (aka bivx) ?

...never heard that name before...

> or to convert an ogm w/ 2 audio channels to a bivx ?
>
> I'm not interrested by ogm since most hardware players don't know
> anything on ogm, but know how to read a bivx (even divx6 w/ more
> than 2 audio channels).
>
> I didn't see anything into the doc or this forum :( any pointers ?

I think what you probably mean is two audio tracks, not channels. A
channel is a part of an audio track that goes to a speaker -- stereo has
two channels, surround usually has four or six channels, and mono has
only one channel. A track is a complete set of audio channels (or video
or subtitles).

MPlayer should be able to play multitrack avi files with -aid. I've
never seen such a file, though it should work. Since MEncoder can only
use one audio track, your best bet to make such a file is probably to
use MEncoder to make a single-track avi file and add the second track
with avidemux (http://avidemux.sourceforge.net). Their docs claim this
is supported, with some restrictions:
http://avidemux.sourceforge.net/doc/en/dualaudio.xml.html

-Corey