[MEncoder-users] Need some hints for my tv recording concept

Matthias Wieser mwieser at gmx.de
Thu Sep 1 11:09:45 CEST 2005

Am Donnerstag, 1. September 2005 00:50 schrieb Rich Felker:

> > > Arrg people are so ignorant!!! [...]
> >
> > Good deinterlacers produce images that are most of the time much
> > better than a single frame.
>
> Huh?

For example: If you record CNN and apply -vf kerndeint most of the picture
will show full vertical resolution, only moving parts are deinterlaced.
If you replace kerndeint by something better, moving parts will improve
in quality.

> > > DScaler has 50/60 fps deinterlacers, some of which are nice.
> >
> > They work for 25fps nearly as well.
>
> And destroy half of the content.. no thanks. :(

Only if the whole frame contains unpredictable motion.

> > > Xine does
> > > not have any nice deinterlacer; they're destructive just like
> > > mplayer's...
> >
> > Xine has nearly all relevant high quality deinterlacers (TomsMoComp,
> > Greedy,..).
>
> Ah I didn't know that. Why doesn't MPlayer?

Btw. transcode now includes VirtualDub's "smartdeinter" filter as well as
TomsMoComp and others.

So best thing for recording TV would be to record interlaced and do the
deinterlacing with xine or transcode.