[MEncoder-users] Dies on completion of 2nd pass, no output file

Pete Davis pete at petedavis.net
Sun Oct 16 01:28:17 CEST 2005

> > While that's certainly something to check, there's not necessarily
> anything
> > wrong with that. In fact, I've done at least 400 encodings of various
> types
> > of source material with -oac copy on the first pass and -oac mp3lame on
> the
> > second.
>
> You've been extremely lucky, or blissfully unaware of the resulting
> problems :)

Well, I suspect the most noticeable problem would probably be out of sync
audio or crashes, neither of which I've encountered.

The videos I've encoded work just fine in mplayer, Windows Media Player and
my hardware media player. I considered doing the audio encoding in both
passes, but with the time it saves me on encoding (and I usually have one
machine encoding 24/7 and another that encodes maybe 4-6 hours a day most
days), it's just not worth it for a potential problems that I simply haven't
run into yet.

About 20% of my encodings are AVIs that are some sort of mpeg 4 codec (xvid
or divx usually) that don't play well on my hardware player (non-smooth
motion or VBR audio which doesn't always sync on the hardware player). About
50% are mpeg 2 captures from my Hauppauge. About 20% are DVD encodings of
various formats, and the last 10% various other things. And again, this is
at least 400 encodings that I've done.

Maybe there's a problem I haven't noticed. But neither I nor the people I
share my collection with have ever noticed anything wrong with them, so it
would have to be something pretty subtle.

Pete