[MEncoder-users] Linux Gui for converting from wma to mp3

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Tue Oct 11 04:25:54 CEST 2005

Paul Smith wrote:

> On 10/10/05, Oded Shimon <ods15 at ods15.dyndns.org> wrote:
>
>>> Is there some Linux GUI for mencoder to convert audio formats,
>>> e.g., converting from wma to mp3?
>>
>> Don't need a frontend
>>
>> mplayer -ao pcm -vc dummy bla.wma
>> lame audiodump.wav
>>
>> or oggenc or your favorite audio encoder.
>
> Thanks, Oded. In case one wants a conversion from wma to mp3 with a
> bitrate of 128 kbps, what should be the options to use with mencoder?

None. MEncoder cannot output MP3 directly, only alongside video into an
AVI or MPEG container.

If you want to go to the bother of sticking your audio file into an AVI
or MPEG as a middle step, then you can a) use MEncoder to do that (read
the man page for the options - it's not hard, really!) and then b) use
'mplayer -dumpaudio' and you'll have a chance of getting a valid file.
Only a chance, though - there is no guarantee whatsoever that the
resulting file will be playable even by MPlayer, much less by anything
else.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.