[MEncoder-users] mencoder GUI/frontend for Linux

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 19:06:21 CEST 2005

Hi,

On 10/10/05, Andrew Burgess <aab at cichlid.com> wrote:

> >>   Do you plan to implement a compression test? This basically consist in
> >> encoding at constant quant 2 a certain percentage (5-7% is enough) of
> >> the movie, taking for instance 20 sequences at 20 equally reparteed
> >> moments of the movie, in order to have an idea how well the movie
> >> compresses.
>
> It would also be nice if some/all of these moments were the type that
> compress poorly so you'd get a sort of worts-case quality idea.
> e.g. lots of motion and/or dark scenes

> It would be really cool if the program could find these scenes on its own
> but a user input of the time offset would still be very useful

The experience I had using the compression check of tuxrip shows that
taking samples all over the movie is accurate enough to get an idea of
how well the movie compresses. If high motion do not compress too well
in your case, you should give  more bits to the whole movie and/or
tweak the ratecontrol.

Guillaume
--
Reading doesn't hurt, really!