[MEncoder-users] Removing strange noise around edges

Phil Oleynik oleynik.phil at mail.ioffe.ru
Tue Nov 29 13:43:06 CET 2005

Fredrik Eriksson wrote:

> Rich Felker wrote:
>
>> The problem you're seeing is dotcrawl, and there is currently no
>> filter in mplayer/mencoder to correct for it aside from blurring and
>> heavy denoising. With telecined content it generally is possible to
>> correct for this due to some degree of redundancy, but no one has
>> written a filter for it yet. I'm considering doing so at some point in
>> the future (since I need it for one of my own projects) but don't hold
>> your breath..
>>
>> Rich
>>

> OK. thx. that was what I wanted to know, I'm looking forward to see
> that filter, until then I guess that Inuyasha will have to stay on the
> dvds...
>
> Fredrik

Well, I have looked at mpg. The thing that stumbles me is awful
interlacing effects, when many
birds fly, three phases are on the same frame. Birds are smashed
completely, it is seen even
when video is running, not paused. Next time, when Inuyasha walks, three
phases are mixed
together also. I do not know how to handle this. If there were two
phases mixed, pullup filter
should work. But unfortunately I do not know how to handle three-field
composition.
I have read a post by Rich Felker, so I hope such filter will appear
sometime.
Maybe I repeat an advice - since you have supported producers, it is
nothing bad in downloading
some existing fansubs.

Philipp