[MEncoder-users] Removing strange noise around edges

Fredrik Eriksson feffese at yahoo.se
Tue Nov 29 07:33:52 CET 2005

Phil Oleynik wrote:

> Fredrik Eriksson wrote:
>

>> That is a lossless png image, and the source *is* the untouched dvd.
>> Take a look at the mpg sample, it's  copied with mencoder:
>>
>> mencoder -ovc copy -oac copy dvd://4 -chapter 1-1 -vf pullup,softskip
>> -ss 33 -endpos 50 -of mpeg -o sample.mpg
>

> Well, if you have a DVD, is there same bug when you play it with
> mplayer, without any filters?

yes.

> If the answer is yes, then you ought to try different modes of pullup
> filter, to change its strictness
> and choose between luma and chroma planes in field order decision
> mechanism.

that wouldn't do much good, since the noise is present in every single
frame, dropping them would leave me without any video at all...

>> the best thing I could come up with to remove the blocking is to
>> something like smartblur=0.9:0.8:20 it still leaves some flickering
>> though, and the detail loss is horrible. hqdn3d=40:0:4 also removes
>> the noise, but you can guess how the video looks like after that...
>

> After 40 in hqdn3d, the video is truly ugly! I understand. Since you
> have an original DVD,
> it is better to try different modes to make picture good and clear.

are you still talking about pullup options or what modes are you talking
about? lowering the hqdn3d or smartblur still leaves noise...

Phil Ehrens wrote:

>So, stop using pullup. And softskip too.
>
>Can you tell us what you are actually trying to accomplish,
>so we can guide you in the right direction?

pullup and softskip is ignored in this case since I use framecopy, I
just forgot to remove them when I made the sample.

as I said, I'm trying to remove the noise that appear around the edges
on the red clothes on the picture (as well as on tons of other places in
the dvd).

Fredrik