[MEncoder-users] Audio sync problems

Karl Mitchell karl.l.mitchell at jpl.nasa.gov
Sun Nov 27 03:20:36 CET 2005

Hi Rathann,

>>Thanks for your suggestion.  With a little experimenting I managed to
>>put everything into the mkv container and it played back well within
>>mplayer.  I have to admit that I do not understand why the sync should
>>work using this method and not using the internal mencoder method.
>>
>>I'm sure there's got to be a better way of doing this than I used
>>(commands below), and I would appreciate your recommendations.  I was
>>only able to use the -of rawaudio dump if I did it at the same time as
>>doing full x264 compression, which is very slow.
>>

>Huh? I got my rawaudio dumps using -ovc copy. Try it.

Sensible.  Still slower than it should be, but much better than I was using.

>>In addition, it turns
>>out that my method was actually putting the data into an AVI container,
>>which is certainly not what I wanted, so I had to use "--engage
>>allow_avc_in_vfw_mode" in mkvmerge.  Any suggestions?
>>

>That's what mencoder does by default. You could try -of lavc -o file.mp4,
>though I don't know how well it'd work.

Brilliant!  This seems to work fine!  I thought I'd tried this before
with no luck, but perhaps it was another option causing me problems.  I
used the command:

mencoder dvd://1 -dvd-device /Volumes/Neptune/Movies/DVD/VIDEO_TS -alang
en \
-oac faac -faacopts br=128 \
-ofps 24000/1001 -vf pullup,softskip \
-ovc x264 -x264encopts bitrate=1200:turbo=1:pass=1 -ofps 24000/1001 \
-o test.mp4 -of lavf -lavfopts format=mp4

Not too fast, and I'm sure the second pass, when I get to it, will be a
lot slower, but it at least works now, and is producing easily
transportable mp4 files (Quicktime compatible).

I managed an alternative solution using MP4Box and the "-of rawvideo" in
mencoder to produce a raw .h264 file.

I'll also keep an eye on the Matroska containers in the future.  They
look like they have a lot of potential.

Cheers,

-k