[MEncoder-users] subtitles disappear with mencoder

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 15:09:02 CET 2005

Hi,

On 11/16/05, Stephen DiVerdi <sdiverdi at cs.ucsb.edu> wrote:

> hello, i've just joined the list because for the first time i'm having a
> problem with mencoder that i can't figure out for the life of me.  i've been
> using mencoder to rip dvds for a couple of years now, but this is the first
> time i've really been stuck with it.  the problem is i have a dvd (In The Mood
> For Love, if you're interested) with korean audio and english subtitles.  when
> i view it with mplayer, specifying '-sid 0' i get english subtitles, as
> expected.  however, when i use mencoder to rip it, again with '-sid 0', the
> subtitles don't appear (yes, i'm trying to burn the subtitles into the video
> stream).
>
> i've tried all manner of options specifying subtitle position, font selection,
> etc. but can't get them to appear in the ripped video.  for a sanity check, i
> popped in another dvd (The Matrix) and the subtitles appear just fine in the
> video file created by mencoder.

I have to admit I did not know that MEncoder was able to "burn" the
subs into the picture. Good, I learnt smth today! :)

> this is with mplayer / mencoder 1.0pre7try2-3.4.3 on fedora core 3.  i've
> attached verbose output from mplayer and mencoder if those can shed any light
> on the subject, though i haven't been able to find any significant
> subtitle-related differences in them.  in both cases, i let it run until a
> point was reached in which subtitles were / should have been present.
>
> any suggestions are appreciated!  thank you!

Try with "-vobsubid xx" instead of "-sid xx".

> (on a side note, getting on to this list was fairly difficult - the
> mailing list webpages seem to be inaccessible.
> try to access it.)

Yes, www is closed for the time being until the new server will be in
production. Sorry of the inconvenience.

Guillaume

--
Reading doesn't hurt, really!