[MEncoder-users] Audio preload and density

Jean Hoderd jhoderd at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 16 10:22:22 CET 2005

Dear mencoders,

I have been playing around with a hardware DivX player (the
KiSS DP1000), feeding it with all sorts of AVIs created with
mencoder.  I have learned a number of interesting things,
but there is one aspect which still escapes my understanding:
the audio-preload and audio-density settings.

Particularly with high-bitrate AC3 streams, KiSS seems to be
very sensitive to the above settings.  There is one thread
in the KiSS forum (google for "kiss ac3 interleave") which
says the problem is related with buffer sizes, but their
advise seems a bit paradoxical to me: I would expect that
the higher the bitrate, the more frequently one would have
to place audio chunks in the stream in order to reduce the
buffer requirements.  Or am I misunderstanding the meaning
of interleaving and preload?

Also, they advise on using multiples of 32ms, but I don't see
how this could be achieved in mencoder -- unless one were to
use mad fractional parameters to audio-density, which are not
allowed anyway.

To summarise: how exactly does audio-preload and audi-interleave
affect the output stream, and what are the reasonable parameters
for hardware-player-friendly AVI files (as a function of the
audio bitrate)?  Also, do the preload and density parameters
affect in any way the audio synchronisation?

Thanks for your help!
Regards,
Jean