[MEncoder-users] Running MEncoder from a PHP script

Trent E DiRenna tdirenna at earthcam.com
Thu Nov 10 21:49:58 CET 2005

I'm currently working on a project to splice together a number of JPEG
images into an AVI movie file, using MEncoder; this is to be run from a
PHP web script.  The command line I'm using for this is as follows:

/usr/local/bin/mencoder mf://*.jpg -quiet -mf fps=5:type=jpg -ovc lavc
-lavcopts vcodec=wmv2 -o phpwmv.avi

When I run this from the command line (in the directory where the Jpegs
are located), it works fine and creates the AVI file.  However, when I
use a PHP shell_exec() to run this (after first using chdir() to change
working directories), no output file is created, and I get the following
output text (also with system() and exec() ):

MEncoder 1.0pre7try2-3.4.4 (C) 2000-2005 MPlayer Team
CPU: Intel Pentium III Katmai/Pentium III Xeon Tanner (Family: 6, Stepping: 3)
Detected cache-line size is 32 bytes
CPUflags: Type: 6 MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 0 3DNow2: 0 SSE: 1 SSE2: 0
Compiled for x86 CPU with extensions: MMX MMX2 SSE

success: format: 16  data: 0x0 - 0x0
[demuxer] mf support.
[mf] search expr: *.jpg
[mf] number of files: 263 (1052)
VIDEO:  [IJPG]  0x0  24bpp  5.000 fps    0.0 kbps ( 0.0 kbyte/s)
[V] filefmt:16  fourcc:0x47504A49  size:0x0  fps: 5.00  ftime:=0.2000

Exiting...

When I run from the command line, I get the actual running encoding line
instead of "Exiting".  It looks like it's finding the files here, but
then just shutting down.  Does MEncoder require a special setting to run
from a web script, or is there just something I'm missing?  Thanks in
advance for your answers.

Trent Di Renna