[MEncoder-users] Encoded DVD's appear too short

Ben Nemec nemecb at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 03:42:13 CET 2005

Just a minor niggle here with the DVD's that I encode using MEncoder.  For
some reason the lengths of tracks that I encode with it show up about half as
long as they should in lsdvd and my standalone player.  I think MPlayer pre7
may have identified them that way too, although I'm using current CVS now and
it gets the lengths right.  I've double-checked my command-line options and
as far as I can tell they're okay.  Here's my command-line (with line breaks
added):

mencoder "$infile" -of mpeg -vf scale=720:-2,expand=720:480,harddup\
 -oac lavc -ovc lavc -lavcopts acodec=ac3:abitrate=192:vcodec=mpeg2video:\
keyint=18:vrc_buf_size=1835:vrc_maxrate=9800:vbitrate=5000:aspect=4/3\
 -mpegopts format=dvd -srate 48000 -af lavcresample=48000 -ofps 30000/1001\
 -o temp.mpg

The resulting file is then passed to dvdauthor to create the disk structure.
Is this more likely an MEncoder problem or should I be looking at dvdauthor?
It's not a major issue, but it would be nice to get accurate times for the
resulting discs.  Thanks.

-Ben