[MEncoder-users] Encoding using mencoder from a TV V4L2 source.

Craig Kadziolka craigk at interia.pl
Fri May 27 23:29:23 CEST 2005

>> Im attempting to record television from a tv capture card under linux.
>> The card works fine when using xawtv to watch tv through the card,
>> however when I try to encode it on the fly using mencoder and then play
>> it back with mplayer I have a problem with an annoying static-type line
>> flickering through the picture at random intervals. I definately dont get
>> this flicker when im watching tv through xawtv, so my guess is that its
>> not a problem with the tv card itself?
>>
> Does the flickering occur when you use mplayer for watching tv?

I just tried it now, and yes it does. To update, I tried a few different
output drivers (vesa and X11) and both seem to have the same problem. The
flicker is in a random part of the screen, sometimes every few seconds and
sometimes a few times a second. It seems to always start somewhere on a row
on the screen and it draws white all the way to the end of the row. If this
helps.

Thanks,

Craig.