[MEncoder-users] Problem re-encoding matroska xvid+ac3 file

Maciej J. Woloszyk mat at esi.com.pl
Thu May 26 16:12:26 CEST 2005

Hi,
I've been using mencoder for quite some time without any significant problems.
However lately I've been downloading some anime files some of which are
contained in matroska files. As my standalone DVD player does not support
matroska I need to re-encode it to standard avi (hardcoding subs). Problem is
the input files seems to be vop packed xvid's with ac3 audio and mencoder
can't reencode them properly - I get some horrible A/V desync whatever I try.
And when I try to use just stream copy to transfer both audio and video
streams into avi container using:
mencoder -oac copy -ovc copy -o output.avi input.mkv
It starts fine and after some 5000 frames I get the message "Too many audio
packets in the buffer" and it stops and effecting 3 minutes of the output
file is broken - it has A/V desync and some compression artifacts.

Is there any way to make it re-encode correctly? I don't understend why
mplayer can play the input file perfectly fine and mencoder can't re-encode
it. Is there some difference in code used by mplayer and mencoder? Shouldn't
both programs use the same mechanisms?

Thanks in advance for any help,

M.
PS. I've been trying to solve this problem for a few days so I already tried
simple soultions I could think about - none of them worked. Even using
Windows VirtualDub solves problem only partially - 5 of 12 files can then be
re-encoded correctly.
--
Maciej J. Woloszyk, <mat at esi.com.pl>
tel. +48 501 033 410          "All power corrupts, absolute power...