[MEncoder-users] using acidrip+mencoder to rip dvd

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg at gmail.com
Thu May 26 11:38:08 CEST 2005

Hi,

On 5/26/05, RC <rcooley at spamcop.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 25 May 2005 17:38:18 -0400
> Rich Felker <dalias at aerifal.cx> wrote:
>
> > At the very least you need to crop the black borders and noise/crap,
> > and you probably also want to denoise and possibly scale the video...
>
> I noticed the "nr" lavcopt recently...   Other than "mbd" and "trell"
> it's the single best option for improving quality.  With a relatively
> low value (eg. 400) it does wonders for quality, and doesn't seem to
> negatively affect details, cause blockiness, etc.  A big improvement
> over hqdn3d IMHO.

Hummm, I never used "nr" as its documentation is fairly terse and
you're the first person I read who recommends it.
Could you maybe post some benchmarks to have an idea of is impact on
both speed (does it slow down encoding, and if so, does this speed
drop depend on how high you set "nr"?) and quality (PSNR and maybe
also perceived quality)?

That could be of some help for me to update both the HTML doc and man page.

Regards,
Guillaume