[MEncoder-users] using acidrip+mencoder to rip dvd

Phil Ehrens phil at slug.org
Wed May 25 22:04:10 CEST 2005

Roger D. Vargas wrote:
> El mi??, 25-05-2005 a las 18:59, Phil Ehrens escribi??:
> > Roger D. Vargas wrote:
> > > >
> > > I copied AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders to a hard disk. I pointed acidrip
> > > to the folder containing those 2 folders. Acidrip reads correctly dvd
> > > structure (also mplayer and play the movie perfectly).
> > > Acidrip encodes the movie, but the resulting video is pixelated,
> > > specially in scenes with lot of movement. I read man page, and now Im
> > > reading the docs and doing the process by hand with different options,
> > > but I cant find how to tell mencoder to use a better motion search
> > > algorithm.
> > > Clear enough what i intend to do and what do i need?
> >
> > NO. When you divulge the options you are using, you will get help.
> >
> By default acidrip uses this: vcodec=mpeg4:vhq:v4mv:vqmin=2 -vf
> pp=de,crop=0:0:0:0,scale=480:-2
> This generates a very ugly video.
> So i read docs and tried with vcodec=mpeg4:vhq:v4mv:trell -vf
> crop=720:480:0:0
> The resulting video is much better, but still is far from original
> quality and pixelated in high movement scenes.

The options you are using are what I use, and get good results
with.

You don't say what vbitrate is being specified by default.
Increasing vbitrate and using 2-pass encoding will both
help. Note that when viewing on a computer that adding a
bit of gaussian blur will significantly improve the viewing
experience. The best encodes I have ever managed had a
very slight fine pixelation when viewed raw, but looked
fantastic when a bit of blur was added.

vbitrates between 1800 and 2400 in 2-pass mode will do
better than a vbitrate of 3000 in single pass, in my
experience.