[MEncoder-users] mencoder & Video COmposite registration

Oleynik Phil Oleynik.Phil at mail.ioffe.ru
Wed May 25 17:31:07 CEST 2005

Stefano Zamprogno wrote:

> Hello
>
> I'm trying to record a SAT signal from composite input of my
> Hauppauge WinTV Theater with no success for the audio part...
> I'm a very beginner of mencoder/mplayer, they have a LOT of
> options not so simple for me to understand ;-)
>
> i have tried this line:
>
> mencoder tv:// -tv
> driver=v4l2:device=/dev/video0:width=768:height=576:input=1:\
> fps=25\
> -oac mp3lame -lameopts cbr:br=128 \
> -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vqscale=3:keyint=25:vbitrate=2000 \
> -o Video.avi
>
> i'm only able to see the video part of this video, seems there is not
> an audio part in it...
>
> Any idea ?
>
> Thanks !

If you are using just composite jack, sound should be inside the video
signal,
usually it is located at 5.5-6.5 MHz subcarrier, and modulated in some way.
If you get signal from satellite receiver (correct?) you may get sound
with subcarrier
in much wider range, e.g. at 10MHz. Or at 7, or at 12...
If you have no problems with common TV, see what sound standart does it
use. Maybe it will give a clue.

Philipp