[MEncoder-users] MSMPEGV2 / lavc options

Alexander Strasser eclipse7 at gmx.net
Mon May 23 19:17:08 CEST 2005

Guillaume POIRIER wrote:
> On 5/23/05, Jan Paul Schmidt <jps at fundament.org> wrote:
> > for compatibility reasons I'm encoding  with MSMPEGV2 and searched for
> > further lavc options which might improve quality. Awfully, several
> > things are not clear to me. To make it short:
> >
> >         Is it possible to use some of the MPEG4 options, as MSMPEGV2 is some
> > sort of MPEG4?
> >         If yes, what options are really considered while encoding? (trell,
> > mbd, v4mv?)
> >
> > It is sometimes a bit tough to tell, if a option affects the encoding
> > strategy or requires certain features of the decoder and is supported
> > by a certain MPEG-Version. Does someone know a good place on the net
> > except the lavc source?
>
> Did you read this
> http://mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/menc-feat-dvd-mpeg4.html#menc-feat-dvd-mpeg4-lavc-encoding-options
> ? It's for "regular" MPEG4 encoding, but I guess it should also work
> in your case.

  I guess not... It seems he wants something that runs more out of the
box on all kinds of basic/preinstalled setups.
  According to that i have to tell you(OP) that you will not get best
quality/size compared to more modern and better codecs.

  And now as something constructive: Look at the compatibility page
Mike Melanson started for ffmpeg (http://ffmpeg.sourceforge.net/compat.php).
There are tips for M$ targets, as well as for strange apples.

  Alex (beastd)