[MEncoder-users] No scaling, only crop: Still need x16 dimensions?

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Sun May 22 22:59:03 CEST 2005

On Sun, May 22, 2005 at 10:25:02PM +0200, Sebastian wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> up till now I cropped and then scaled every movie. Scaling was done like
> 640:272, so both x and y are multiples of 16. Now I don't want to scale
> but only crop, so that the hardware does the scaling during playback,
> but the optimal cropping dimension is like 702:386, so x and y are no
> longer multiples of 16. Is this ok or should I overcrop to 688:384?

In general, overcrop. However, cropping 14 extra pixels is a big loss.
Personally I would rescale from 702 to 704 on the horizontal. By the
way, both your crop offsets (x and y) must be even numbers, so make
sure this holds too.

In the longer term, I'm planning to make a filter that can clean up a
little bit of crap near the image borders, to handle cases like this
where you don't want to crop a whole 16 pixels but need to get rid of
one or two bad pixels.. But it won't be done very soon..

Rich