[MEncoder-users] How to create "really standard" MPEG1 files?

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Wed May 11 20:45:55 CEST 2005

On Wed, May 11, 2005 at 06:13:01PM +0200, Mario Valle wrote:
> I need to assemble images into a "really standard" MPEG1 movie. Ie the
> result should play everywere without any new codec installation.
> Can you suggest a sane set of mencoder options?
> I tried with the following setup:
>
> opt=vbitrate=1152:mbd=2:aspect=1:vrc_maxrate=1152:vrc_minrate=1152:keyint=15:vrc_buf_size=327
>
> mencoder -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg1video:vbitrate=800:$opt \
> -of mpeg -mpegopts format=mpeg1 -mc 0 -noskip -vf harddup \
> -mf type=png:w=320:h=416:fps=24 -nosound -o movie.mpg mf://image\*.png
>
> But the resulting file does not works with, for example, Windows Media
> Player.
> The biggest difference with a working file is that the working one is
> MPEG-ES (from mplayer -identify), instead the mencoded one is MPEG-PS.

I'm not familiar with MPEG formats so much, but I think ES is
single-stream only, i.e. just video and no audio... You can make this
from PS if you want by using:

mplayer -dumpvideo -dumpfile esfile.mpg psfile.mpg

However I may be entirely wrong..
Anyway WMP should support PS just fine, so IMO something else is
wrong.. Perhaps the fact that you're using a strange frame
size/aspect?

Rich