[MEncoder-users] Deinterlacing produces red and green ghost effects - looks off

Sebastian sebastian_ml at gmx.net
Wed May 11 20:27:36 CEST 2005

Hi all,

I got some interlaced PAL material here. I'm trying to deinterlace, but
no matter which filter I use the result looks off when there's high
motion. I'm using mplayer/mencoder CVS-050511-14:33-3.3.5-20050130.
I've uploaded pictures of a guy in a smoking rasing his hand and then
lowering it.

http://www-users.rwth-aachen.de/sebastian.kemper/deinterlace1.png

Here the guy raises his hand. The red ghost hands is faster then the
guys hand.

http://www-users.rwth-aachen.de/sebastian.kemper/deinterlace2.png

Here the guy lowers his hand. But this time a green ghost hand is slower
then the guys hand.

What's wrong? Can the filters be fixed? Or is it because the first half
of the movie is progressive and the second is interlaced and mplayers
decoder doesn't get it? I read something alike here:
http://forums.3ivx.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard/topic.cgi?forum=14&topic=124
They figured it's the "Chroma Bug" and linked a description.

Thanks

Sebastian