[MEncoder-users] Reencode divx as dvd.

Phil Ehrens phil at slug.org
Wed May 11 00:49:50 CEST 2005

Alex Polite wrote:
> I'd like to turn my divx and xvid tv-recordings into DVDs.
>
> I'm pretty sure mencoder can muster this but when I google on this
> issue I get swamped with pages on dvd ripping.
>
> Where do I start?

Assuming you want to do this without having to learn all there
is to know about encoding video look here:

http://inferno.slug.org/cgi-bin/wiki?AviToVob

and here:

http://www.transcoding.org/cgi-bin/transcode?Tutorials/Authoring_PC_Media_To_DVD

And understand that there are several low-level tools that
can be used to do this, including mencoder, ffmpeg, and
transcode, and that the lists for these three tools will
each provide you with a slightly different answer to your
request.

Also understand that it is a non-trivial thing to do, and
that there is not one single command that you can issue that
will transcode every single thing to dvd format.

--
Phil Ehrens <phil at slug.org>      | Fun stuff:
The SilverLake Linux Users Group | http://www.ralphmag.org